Some people wrinkle their nose at the thought of using ground turkey instead of ground beef. If you cook it right, it is delicious! Have you tried my turkey burger recipe? Even my best friend's husband like them!
I am still trying to lose weight but more importantly I am simply trying to eat better. I have a weakness for all types of junk food and if I am not careful, I will end up on The Biggest Loser. I'd rather make changes now and avoid crying, screaming and sweating on national television!
Tonight I wanted spaghetti and meatballs. That's a rare thing for me but tonight it was my dinner of choice. Here's what I threw together: (amounts are approximate because I didn't measure as I went, sorry)
20oz Lean or Extra Lean Ground Turkey
1 1/2 C bread crumbs
2 Eggs (or you can use just egg whites)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt - Just a dash or two
2 tbsp italian Seasoning (or a mixture of dry basil and oregano)
1) Preheat oven to 375
2) Line a baking pan with foil and lightly spray with non stick spray
3) In a medium size mixing bowl, mix eggs and ground turkey until well comined
4) Add the bread crumbs to the mixture until well combined
5) Add in all of the seasonings and mix well
6) Scoop up about 1/4c of the mixture and form it into a ball. Add more for larger meat balls or less for smaller
7) Place meatballs on baking sheet, evenly spaced apart
8) Bake 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
Next time I might add a little bit of onion, shredded zucchini and shredded carrots to bump up the nutrition value.
I ate mine with whole wheat pasta and tomato basil pasta sauce. Happy Tummy!