Weight Loss progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"BBQ" Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

Here's a tasty recipe I found in the Better Homes & gardens magazine. By the way, I have found a new love for this magazine. It is borderline obssession! Anyway. I tweaked a couple things and doubled the recipe. Here goes...
Ingredients:
1- Roasting Chicken, approx 5lbs. (you can also get an already made roasted chicken from the store)
1 medium brown onion
1Tbsp Olive Oil
2/3 C Cider Vinegar
1 C Tomato Sauce
2 Serrano Chile Peppers
1 Sweet Banana Chile
Sprinkle of dried Thyme
3 Tbsp Molasses
4 Tbsp Water
Couple dashes of Salt
6-8 Kaiser Rolls/Buns

1. Cook your chicken. I roasted my own 5 1/2lb chicken in the oven for approx 1hr 45min

2. Let it cool for a while. Take the meat off the bones and put it in a separate bowl. Shred the chunks of meat with a couple forks. The chicken may still be H-O-T in the center.

3. Get your large skillet heating on the stove and toss the olive oil in to get it nice and hot.
4. Remove the skin of the onion, cut it in half and chop each half into strips
5. Toss those bad boy into your hot skillet and saute them until they are slightly browned and tender

6. Slice open those tasty chiles and remove the veins and seeds. (to reduce the spice/heat)

7. Chop them up into bits

8. Add the vinegar to the skillet and simmer w/ the onions for about a minute
9. Add the Tomato Sauce, Thyme, Salt, Water, Molasses and Chiles to the onion mixture.

10. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes
11. Add the chicken to the mixture and stir until coated

12. Throw that goodness on a bun and eat up!

P.S. Sorry I didn't catch a picture of the finished product on a bun. I was hungry...
P.S.S... Next Time I plan on adding more peppers and onions because well, I'm a pepper and onion lover. I also think having it a touch sweeter would be even tastier. I think I am going to throw in 1/4C of pineapple juice next time.

No comments: