Weight Loss progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Last Wedding Cake

Saturday marked a bittersweet moment as far as cakes are concerned. I baked, decorated and built my very last wedding cake. Forever? Maybe, maybe not. For a while? Absolutely.

I know what you are going to say... "but you do such a great job!", " you can't stop making them, you're so good at it".

What a lot of people don't understand is how much work they are. It takes about 5 dozen eggs, 10 lbs of flour, 8-10lbs of sugar, 6 cups of oil, 10 table spoons of vanilla, 4 cups cocoa powder,1-2 cartons of pastry pride, 6 cups of crisco, 8 pounds of powdered sugar, various spices and flavor extracts, 8 hours of baking, 6 hours of mixing, 4 hours of decorating (depending on the details involved), an hour of leveling and an hour of filling and crumb coating and the entire space of my refrigerator. I can't go grocery shopping for 2 weeks leading up to making the cake because there won't be room for groceries and cake in my refrigerator. Plus hours of cleaning and dish washing.

This last cake for Cory & Heather pushed my stress level over the edge. The cakes weren't setting up like they normally do and the crumbs seemed excessive. On the day of the wedding the fondant stuck to the boxes so large chunks of findant were coming off while I was trying to set it up at the wedding venue. Thankfully I had some pure while buttercream frosting with me and I was able to patch everything make it look nearly flawless.

All that said, it has been an absolute honor and pleasure to have made so many wedding cakes. It is a special thing to be asked and be part of such an important day. I am proud of my work. There has , literally, been blood, sweat and tears involved with each and every cake.

So here it is:

5 comments:

Penny said...

It.Is. Beautiful. As always.

Cindy Williams said...

I'm probably the only one who can sympathize with what you go through. I know what you mean. I don't remember the last cake I made. Occasionally is ok, but not constantly like we did. Unless someone wants to hire a baking assistant, cleaning crew and delivery person to help you with the cake lol. Take this break and if you want to go back to baking later cool, if not that's ok too.

cindy Williams said...

Oh and I HATE FONDANT. It sucks! Buttercream all the way.

Sue said...

The cake is GORGEOUS, but I completely understand:)
Thanks for pointing out that I failed to list the flour for my strawberry lemonade scones. I fixed it:) It now reads 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour on the ingredient list. Sorry about that. Enjoy your weekend, Shannon!

Jessica LaTour said...

One of my all time favorite cakes you've done! So beautiful!