Weight Loss progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Summertime Snack

I've learned a few things over the past few weeks. Maybe even months.

1. It is hard to eat all of the fresh produce I buy before it goes bad
2. Food, especially hot food, does not sound appealing when it is 100+ degrees outside
3. It is very hard to eat healthy and keep food costs down
4. Finding low calories, low fat but tasty recipes for meals and treats is a pain in the you know what
5. I don't always have time to cook a meal

The strawberries seem to get mushy before I can eat them all and the bananas are too brown for me to enjoy but not quite banana bread status. So, I decided to give something a try. I bought a decent amount of fresh fruit that was on sale and I decided to divide it up to freeze it. It is really easy. It took me less than 15 minutes.

I simply washed and cut up the fruit then divided it among the freezer bags I have. Because I am trying to be good and watch my calorie intake, I measured out the fruit and labeled the bags so I can track me food/calorie consumption.

This time around I only used banana, strawberries and blueberries. But really, smoothie options are endless. Add a 1/2 cup low fat or fat free yogurt, or add a 1/2 cup of cold milk. Throw in a scoop of "any whey" 100 % whey protein powder (doesnt have a taste, just adds protein). Adding some protein will make it more filling and in essence, it becomes a meal replacement smoothie. Bonus: it is nice and cool for those blasted hot days we seem to be having.

No comments: